Friday, March 03, 2006

25 Dollars Worth of Bagel Crisps, Here I Come!

The hostel I am staying at has wireless internet, and thus I blog for you. I was going to go into Launceston tomorrow and pay a ridiculous amount of money to use the wireless an internet cafe, but now I can totally spend that money on orphans and shit.

Sometimes people tell me that I am crazy. How they can say such a thing when they're the ones completely covered in spiders is something I'm still working through. But anyway, it's what they say.

If I am crazy, and it's a possibility, I am forced to conclude that I am not as crazy as I could be. Today I was standing at the express line at a grocery store, with my purchase (detergent and bananas) clutched to my chest, when I noticed a man who was not wearing a shirt approaching from outside the row of checkers. It was obvious from a ways off that this man was not sober.

Grocery stores in Australia are not laissez faire about the proper way to enter a grocery store - there's invariably a set little channel you're supposed to enter through. This guy came elbowing his way through the express checkout lane, which is not the way. As he came, I had an opportunity to scope his well-maintained musculature and a number of burns on his chest and arms. I could also tell that not only was he not sober, he was extremely not sober, and mumbling to people as he came along, repeating the same thing every three or so people. It took me until he was almost upon me to suss out what he was saying: "Anyone got a ten cent piece?"

The correct response to this situation is to avoid eye contact and say nothing. My reaction was to point at the guy behind me who was purchasing meat and say "I'm guessing that guy has at least ten cents. How else would he be able to afford meat."

But I didn't say anything, and the man proceeded into the bowels of the store.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I saw this and thought of you: http://www.thesunmagazine.org/managing_editor.html
-- A fan :)

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home